Westside Graduation Ceremonies Set For July 18
Westside Class of 2020:
We are extremely excited about celebrating the Class of 2020 on Saturday, July 18th at Phelps Field on the Westside High School campus.
With the latest round of “directed health measures” that go into effect on July 1st, we are happy to announce that we can increase the number of people allowed to be on site per graduation session. We are now also combining sessions, for a total of THREE ceremonies from seven. This will help our graduates be able to celebrate with more of their classmates at the same time. Mr. Opperman will send home more info about logistics, parking, etc. in the coming weeks. Please see our updated schedule below
Updated Graduation Ceremonies schedule for July 18th
- Last names that begin with A-F 12:30
- Last names that begin with G-M 2:30
- Last names that begin with N-Z 4:30
- VIRTUAL CEREMONY on Cox Channel 1013 7:00
- We ask that all graduates and their guests carpool and check-in together once on campus. This will help with the limited amount of parking that will be available. We will not send home tickets for attendees to turn in so it is important they check in with their graduate.
- We ask that graduates and guests arrive at the stadium no sooner than 30-minutes before their scheduled session is set to begin. We will now have three different sessions based on the first letter of last names to ensure small enough crowds to meet updated social-distancing guidelines. Please do not show up sooner than 30-minutes prior to the start of your session.
- Designated seating will be available in the west and east bleachers in groups of EIGHT as each graduate will only be allowed to bring up to EIGHT guests with them to the stadium. These seats will be clustered in a socially-distant setting and will be wiped down by district custodial staff between graduation sessions.
- We have worked very hard to get this modified graduation plan approved by the health department so PLEASE abide by a max of EIGHT guests per graduate.
- Due to anticipated heat and humidity for July 18th, at this time, we are not requiring masks but rather recommending them. We do reserve the right to require masks based on what could happen throughout our community between now and then. If that is the case, we would make this announcement by July 15th and would have some disposable masks on site for those in need.
- We ask anyone experiencing COVID-19 symptoms to please stay home.
- No handshakes, hugs, or exchanging of food or drink, etc.
- A professional photographer and videographer will be on site.
- An order form from Lifetouch for print photos is attached.
- If you wish to order a DVD of your student’s ceremony, please click here: http://davehynekfilms.com/
- We will be on a tight schedule and will need folks to exit the stadium as soon as your child’s session is complete. Please help us with this important part of this plan by being respectful and accepting of this request.
- These ceremonies will go on “rain or shine” unless severe storms enter the area. Sunday, July 19th would become our “make-up date” for any sessions that get stormed out. If both July 18th and 19th get stormed out, we would plan on July 25th. July 26th would become our backup to the backup plan.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR EACH GRADUATION SESSION
- Entrance of graduates onto the football field in seats that would be social distanced
- National Anthem
- Welcome and well wishes from Board of Education President, Adam Yale
- Quick speech from Superintendent Mike Lucas
- Reading off of names of graduates as they come forward to receive their diploma in a social-distanced manner
- Closing comments from Principal Jay Opperman
- Exit of graduates
- On the evening of July 18 at 7:00pm, our Virtual Graduation Ceremony including all graduates, student speeches, and a slideshow of all graduates will air on Cox Channel 1013. This will also be streamed online for those without access to Cox, or who wish to view the virtual ceremony outside of Omaha. We will provide DVD copies of the Virtual Graduation Ceremony to each graduate.
Thank you to all for your ongoing support and patience! We are excited to celebrate the Class of 2020!
Westside Community Schools